Fat and Happy
If you saw my recent instagram post, you would know that I am a big fan of fat. yes, fat. F-A-T.
About 70 years ago, the government started telling us that fat was bad for us. And yes, some fat is. Like greasy fried donuts, fast food, packaged foods, etc. BUT not all fats are created equally and your diet NEEDS FAT. This is not some luxury for health conscious freaks. It’s not equivalent to me saying you need to eat a certain mushroom grown at the top of a specific mountain.
No, this actually is applicable to everyone with all body types and food diets.
Why You Need Fat In Your Diet
- Fat is a MAJOR source of energy. Your cells thrive when there’s fat in your meal.
- Fat helps you absorb certain nutrients that are fat soluble. KEY TIP: A lot of great nutrients found in vegetables are fat soluble, so adding in some sort of fat (olive/coconut oil, avocado, etc) will help your body assimilate and absorb those nutrients! Really, why do all that work and eat tons of greens if you’re not reaping all of the benefits?
- Our Brain is primarily made up of fat. (!!!!) So you really need to feed it with fat to maintain optimum function. It’s especially important in brain development for young kids, so make sure to not be afraid of fatty foods with your children!
- Our body does miraculous things, but there are certain things our body needs to outsource; like essential fatty acids. Only certain types of fat can provide these nutrients, and as the name suggests– they are ESSENTIAL.
- Fat keeps our bodies fuller for longer, without the constant yo-yoing of starving then stuffing, it keeps our blood sugar balanced. If you are consistently being satisfied at every meal, you will snack much less, which is better for your insulin production and weight loss!
- With better managed insulin production and steady blood sugar, your other hormones will also eventually balance out. If you keep finding yourself starving and then stuffing your face with bad food, your body is constantly going in and out of survival mode. Spikes and drops with any hormone is going to throw your body out of whack. So by eating fat you’re not only keeping weight down, but also balancing hormones.
So now that you’re convinced that you need to reevaluate your diet, I will now raise you a point by suggesting some of the BEST foods with fat! I will also add the links to some of my favorite products that you can purchase online!
Best Fatty Foods
- Full Fat Dairy (if dairy sensitive, use coconut/goat alternatives! Very few people can tolerate cow dairy)
- Nuts/nut butters (this particular brand of almond butter is just made out of almonds! which is SO SO rare! they’re usually mixed with a nasty inflammatory oil)
- Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- Coconut Oil
- Organic Grass Fed Beef (if it’s not organic, you’ll be unintentionally pumping tons of synthetic hormones into your system- which are best avoided at all costs)
- Coconut Manna (this is my newly discovered food love. IT IS SO TASTY. especially on toast with almond butter. or mixed in with a matcha latte. or just by the spoonful.)
I am such an advocate for adding more fat into your diet, it’s an important key many people are missing in their journey to health. What’s your favorite fatty food?