Coco Bon Bun
Sometimes your hair gets greasy AF, and sometimes it’s because you put a bunch of oil in it.
Just like your face, body, and organs need some extra love and care, your hair does too. The harsh water, the products, the sun, less than perfect diet- these can all take a toll on your beautiful, goddess hair. Once a week I like to take some time to give my hair and scalp some extra attention to encourage a healthy scalp, moisturized hair, and faster hair growth. Seriously, I can always tell a difference when I use a coconut oil hair mask. It’s immediately softer and shinier, like I had just removed a ton of weight.
Coconut oil has a ton of amazing benefits. You can literally use it to heal almost anything. It’s antibacterial with both lauric acid and medium-chain fatty acids that strengthens the hair, conditions the scalp, and these both encourage hair growth! Plus it’s freakin’ cheap and lasts a really long time.
This is the coconut oil I use, great stuff.
- So it’s been a few days and your hair is dirty and needs some washing; this is the p e r f e c t time to use a mask.
- Brush your hair out and pour about 1/3-1/2 cup (depends on hair length) into a bowl and use a spoon to place it in your scalp. I like to create different parts in my hair so that it really gets into my scalp.
- I massage in the oil super well, and then work my way down the rest of my hair to my ends. Make sure you pay attention to your ends as these need the most TLC.
- Twist it up into a high knot, add in a couple drops of peppermint/rosemary on your scalp for added hair growth benefits.
- And let that sucker sit. Some people let it sit for a full 24 hours, some people only do 30 minutes. the longer you leave it in, the better the benefits, but anything is better than nothing.
Washing it Out
- Wash all of your hair, not just your scalp. (I usually only wash my scalp, but to really get all of the oil out you need to wash all of your hair.)
- Go back in for a second washing for just my scalp. I have had some bad experiences where my hair is still oily after washing and I look super cringy.
- Condition as normal!
It’s really easy and doesn’t take much effort or money. So kind of the perfect DIY. I’ll be honest, I don’t do it every week but I am going to try and be more consistent ’cause it makes me hair so happy.
Do you use a hair mask? What has your experience been like?